Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stanislaw Flatto Stanislaw Flatto is offline

Default New Motherboard installation

Rich Grise wrote:

So, finally, to the question: If it were up to you, would you take the
brass studs out of the old case and screw them into the new case, or
would you use the plastic standoffs? My major worry, of course, is
grounding the MB to the case.

The plastic ones will probably be easier, but if anybody is adamant
about using the brass studs, I'd be happy to read it here.

Thanks!
Rich

Now we are on mechanics.
The varieties of studs both have their function.
The brass or metal ones keep the board steady against movement when
inserting or removing the PS/2, USB, serial, parallel, video and audio
plugs and providing ground connections to case.
The plastic ones being flexible are used to support the board against
flexing and maybe breaking when inserting/removing memory, power, IDE,
and I/O cards.
So 2 or 3 (sometimes more) metal ones and the rest plastic.
Warning! check properly the placing of mobo against mounting plate
before starting to insert various studs. The accidental shorting to
ground is not worth the time invested on double/triple checking.
And make sure that both kinds have the same length from mounting plate.

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.