Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default OT steel stud for shop building

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Bob, if you don't mind sharing, about what did this cost? The studs were
cheaper than wood, did everything else come in lower or about the same as
well?

Mark & Juanita

The studs were about $11.00 each. 12" X 10'. 18 guage as I remember.
Maybe 16 guage. Wood 2X12 10' were $18.00. I spent about $4000.00 for
the shop including the 6" 3500 pound concrete floor. Concrere was
$54.00 a yard then. Year 2000 pricing. I went overboard on the electric
and AC. Steel door and frame was $12.00 at an auction. Windows were
$54.00 at HD. Custom size. Roofing was about $250.00. Have 10 extra
gallons of elestomeric coating for the future. The electric boxes were
14 cents on closeout at HD. Had almost all the electric wiring.
Engiineering for the studs etc was $125.00. He made suggestions that
saved me twice that. Permits $100.00. OSB was on sale at $4.00 a sheet.

I did all the steel erection myself except for setting up the walls. I
assembled the walls on the floor. Some friends helped me set them up.
About 1 hour. Screw gun was $95.00 from HD. A Dewalt. Figured it
would last for just the job. Still going strong. Found some bits for
$1.00 that lasted all day long. The cheap best ones from HD were junk.
I got my money back.

The secret is to shop-shop-shop. If you don't like the pricing hold on
until you do.

Bob AZ