Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D Dave D is offline

Default New Motherboard installation

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
So, finally, to the question: If it were up to you, would you take the
brass studs out of the old case and screw them into the new case, or
would you use the plastic standoffs? My major worry, of course, is
grounding the MB to the case.

The plastic ones will probably be easier, but if anybody is adamant
about using the brass studs, I'd be happy to read it here.

Inspect the mounting holes on the motherboard. The ones that are surrounded
by a ring of metal/solder pad are intended to be grounding points and brass
standoffs can be used. If any of the holes are just PCB, or have PCB tracks
running near the hole, use plastic standoffs, or brass standoffs with
insulating washers if necessary. In the latter case, it doesn't hurt to use
insulating washers on the screw as well to prevent track damage on the top
of the motherboard.

I'm not sure I like the idea of using nothing but insulating standoffs-
there are surely EMI issues here.

Dave