Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default New Motherboard installation

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:10:03 -0400, mc wrote:

I usually have one or two brass studs and the rest plastic standoffs. When
you use a brass one, make sure you know what it's contacting.

Fry's occasionally has really good loss leaders on cases with power supplies
in it. The next time the Astec Sonata comes up for $35 or so, I'm going to
move my computer into one. Is that the one you saw? Is the deal going on
right now? I only get to Fry's every few weeks (50 miles away) but there's
a window of opportunity tomorrow.

It's about as generic as a no-name Chinese case can get. I just went to
look, and when I looked more closely at that little pile of really cute
hardware, I saw a handful of brass standoffs, and some fiber washers.
(fibre?) So, I think, the fibre washers go on the insulated ... wait a
minute - the threads are still metal-to-metal.

The MB did come with a big manual, though - it might say which pads
are OK to ground.

Just looked at outpost.com, and didn't see the item - it might be a
clearance thing. But I bet you could call them on the landline. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich