Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Munro Phil Munro is offline

Default gas stove problem - 2 burner don't light

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"ap" wrote in message
ps.com...

Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

The gas much reach the spark to ignite. Check that there is no gunk built
up where the gas would flow to the sparking igniter. In some cases, one
sparking igniter will take care of two burners. Go take a peek underneath.

There are usually a few smaller holes for gas which progress down the
burner to a place near the ignitor. If you hear the click and are able
to start the burner with a matches, probably some of those small
"start-up" holes are clogged. If you can see them, find a very thin
wire to push into and out of them to see if you can clear them.
You can also test those holes with a match and the gas on to see if
they are working.
Of course I think you said something about "sealed burners," so I
don't know how much of this is possible. --Phil
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555