Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe leak - what to do?

wrote:
From: Pet

fernox LSX wrapped round with some form of secure binding...

ooh, that looks easy, if its ok on mains pressure. Hard to believe it
is, but maybe so.

What have you got to lose really.

well, most of the ground floor stuff due to a flood...

From: Sparks

You say you cant drain it, can you turn the water off to it?

I hope so... didnt succeed last time though. Not gonna be happy if I
cant.

From: Lobster

Can't quite visualise the situation - this is a joint somewhere under a
bath? Where does the offending pipe go from/to, and what is the joint
doing?

Yes, its the cold feed under a bath. The leaky tee joins feed with L
shaped tap supply with outgoing feed.

Can you cut the joint out, and replace a section,

perhaps I'll have to, but access doesnt look good.

Presumably you're trying to avoid having to de-install lots of stuff

like bathtubs,

yes

or you could simply replace as much pipework as necessary

not sure theres enough access, we'll see tomorrow

From: Phil L

if that fails, get a piece
of earth sleeving (or any flexible small tubing) and feed it down the tap
and suck the water out - there can't be more than a pint or two of water in
there...any small residues will evapourate with the torch.

clever, ty.

OK, now I've got some options. Thanks everyone. If my PC survives
immersion I'll let you know how it all went.

NT

ok there isnt enough access to cut the tee out cleanly, nor to replace
one of the pipes it feeds. The tap is almost seized, so I reckon the
stress from that caused it. Going to fix the tap then clean and lsx the
pipe, and see what happens.

thanks, NT