Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe leak - what to do?

Hi everyone

I dont know what to do with a leaking pipe. Its a soldered joint, but
theres no way to drain it, so I cant think how to unsolder it. Both
feed and tap are at least 2' upwards of the bad joint. Drilling a tiny
hole in the Cu then solder patching it, am not convinced the solder
would be strong enough.

Also the access space is tight and theres a plastic waste pipe there
too, so I wont get free play with the blow j. Oh, and a plastic bath
too.

And of course the pipe looks somewhat corroded, so cutting the tee then
rejoining with compression is likely to fail. Such joy. Any hints
apprecated! Well, those relating to pipes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone

I dont know what to do with a leaking pipe. Its a soldered joint, but
theres no way to drain it, so I cant think how to unsolder it. Both
feed and tap are at least 2' upwards of the bad joint. Drilling a tiny
hole in the Cu then solder patching it, am not convinced the solder
would be strong enough.

Also the access space is tight and theres a plastic waste pipe there
too, so I wont get free play with the blow j. Oh, and a plastic bath
too.

And of course the pipe looks somewhat corroded, so cutting the tee then
rejoining with compression is likely to fail. Such joy. Any hints
apprecated! Well, those relating to pipes.

You say you cant drain it, can you turn the water off to it?

If so, can you then cut offending joint out, then use one of these?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Pet

fernox LSX wrapped round with some form of secure binding...

ooh, that looks easy, if its ok on mains pressure. Hard to believe it
is, but maybe so.

What have you got to lose really.

well, most of the ground floor stuff due to a flood...

From: Sparks

You say you cant drain it, can you turn the water off to it?

I hope so... didnt succeed last time though. Not gonna be happy if I
cant.

From: Lobster

Can't quite visualise the situation - this is a joint somewhere under a
bath? Where does the offending pipe go from/to, and what is the joint
doing?

Yes, its the cold feed under a bath. The leaky tee joins feed with L
shaped tap supply with outgoing feed.

Can you cut the joint out, and replace a section,

perhaps I'll have to, but access doesnt look good.

Presumably you're trying to avoid having to de-install lots of stuff

like bathtubs,

yes

or you could simply replace as much pipework as necessary

not sure theres enough access, we'll see tomorrow

From: Phil L

if that fails, get a piece
of earth sleeving (or any flexible small tubing) and feed it down the tap
and suck the water out - there can't be more than a pint or two of water in
there...any small residues will evapourate with the torch.

clever, ty.

OK, now I've got some options. Thanks everyone. If my PC survives
immersion I'll let you know how it all went.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Sparks

From: Phil L

if that fails, get a piece
of earth sleeving (or any flexible small tubing) and feed it down the tap
and suck the water out - there can't be more than a pint or two of water in
there...any small residues will evapourate with the torch.

clever, ty.

OK, now I've got some options. Thanks everyone. If my PC survives
immersion I'll let you know how it all went.

NT

ok there isnt enough access to cut the tee out cleanly, nor to replace
one of the pipes it feeds. The tap is almost seized, so I reckon the
stress from that caused it. Going to fix the tap then clean and lsx the
pipe, and see what happens.

thanks, NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
I dont know what to do with a leaking pipe. Its a soldered joint, but
theres no way to drain it, so I cant think how to unsolder it. Both
feed and tap are at least 2' upwards of the bad joint. Drilling a tiny
hole in the Cu then solder patching it, am not convinced the solder
would be strong enough.

Also the access space is tight and theres a plastic waste pipe there
too, so I wont get free play with the blow j. Oh, and a plastic bath
too.

And of course the pipe looks somewhat corroded, so cutting the tee then
rejoining with compression is likely to fail. Such joy. Any hints
apprecated! Well, those relating to pipes.

Provided you can turn the water supply off, any pipe may be drained.

By the sound of it you'd be best to cut before the leak and replace
everything after it rather than mess about - or at least to where you can
get easier access.

You can get blankets to prevent heat damaging plastic pipes etc when you
use a blowlamp, or ceramic tiles do a pretty good job if you've got some
lying around.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gav wrote:

you could turn the water off in the road,

I may have to. Havent found any appropriate cover though, but will look
again if cant turn main stopcock off.

i did but forgot to warn
neibour. he was most supprised when he had no water. then you could
replace as much as possible of the corroded pipe and fix the pipe in a
better location

there really isnt a better location.

thanks, NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

I dont know what to do with a leaking pipe. Its a soldered joint, but

Also the access space is tight and theres a plastic waste pipe there

Provided you can turn the water supply off, any pipe may be drained.

Since I'm a rank hamateur plumber, I dont know how, except by inserting
an earth sleeve down the tap and sucking it up. I've got some sleeving,
but where is another matter.

I got busy doing something else today so havent done it yet.

By the sound of it you'd be best to cut before the leak and replace
everything after it rather than mess about - or at least to where you can
get easier access.

inadequate access. If I had no other option I'd cut it all out, but
it'd be difficult and slow going. I've decided to try an epoxy &
fibreglass external repair first. Am assured they do work, despite my
doubts. Its mains pressure.

You can get blankets to prevent heat damaging plastic pipes etc when you
use a blowlamp, or ceramic tiles do a pretty good job if you've got some
lying around.

handy hint, ta. I'm all out of metal sheet, which is what I'd usually
use.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

If you can get a pipe cutter to it, push on fittings are the easiest to
use in a tight space, provide the outer surface is free from corrosion.

A wet soldering heat mat will protect any plastic when soldering.

Best of all though is to take the bull by the horns, and go even further
backwards from the leak to where you CAN make a good connection.

Even if it means using flexi plastic pipe to redo..this is often easier
to pull into tight spaces through walls etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

I dont know what to do with a leaking pipe. Its a soldered joint, but

Also the access space is tight and theres a plastic waste pipe there

Provided you can turn the water supply off, any pipe may be drained.

Since I'm a rank hamateur plumber, I dont know how, except by inserting
an earth sleeve down the tap and sucking it up. I've got some sleeving,
but where is another matter.

I got busy doing something else today so havent done it yet.

By the sound of it you'd be best to cut before the leak and replace
everything after it rather than mess about - or at least to where you can
get easier access.

inadequate access. If I had no other option I'd cut it all out, but
it'd be difficult and slow going. I've decided to try an epoxy &
fibreglass external repair first. Am assured they do work, despite my
doubts. Its mains pressure.

The biggest problem with this is getting thee pipe dry and keeping it dry.

And cleaning off corrosion.

I HAVE made it work..though. Car body filler or 'liquid metal' (Halfords
is your friend) and glass cloth bandaged around will do it. but NOT if
its constantly weeping as you do it.

You can get blankets to prevent heat damaging plastic pipes etc when you
use a blowlamp, or ceramic tiles do a pretty good job if you've got some
lying around.

handy hint, ta. I'm all out of metal sheet, which is what I'd usually
use.

No. the mats are phenomenal. cheap as chips..you can use have two, the
top one will be red hot, the bottom one will not even be hot enough to
burn you.

NT