Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default How much to convert to all electric?

trader4 wrote:

You should care about the why of it. I would want to know for sure
where my electric is coming from and what factors affect the price today
and what factors may affect the price in the future. If it's coming
from hydro electric then it's a lot more secure than if it;s coming from
say nuclear, with a license about to expire and the environmentalists
and state govt trying to close it, forcing a switch to more expensive
alternatives.

The electric plants around my area are coal fired.

The best choice in your case sounds like it would be a heat pump system,
either air or geothermal based.

No way geothermal is practical here. In fact, one of the big buildings
downtown (the Humana corporate headquarters, if memory serves) uses
geothermal cooling. They pump up cool aquifer water, and use it the same
as chilled water air conditioning from a traditional cooling tower. Then
the warm water goes back to the aquifer.

A heat pump is usable here, but they need a back up resistance heating
elements.

That minimizes your use of electric compared to a pure resistance
system, but still uses it as the main energy source.

Which brings me to my original question. What might it cost to remove a
gas furnace and replace it with electric heat?

--
Tony Sivori