Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default band saw riser

On 16 Jul 2006 01:04:47 -0700, "
wrote:

Funny that you mentioned that, Leo...
I saw a thing in ABPW about cutting rolls of paper towels in half with the
bandsaw... neat idea, since a lot of the stuff I do in the shop needs less than
a whole towel..

What didn't occur to me is that the guy that did it was a flat work type and
probably used a fine tooth blade...

Cut one in half with my 3 tpi blade and filled the shop with white fluffy
stuff.. *sigh*

Ron just make sure you have saw blades for cutting WET wood, 3 or 4
teeth per inch, that makes all the difference in the world, that is my
take on it, but I use my chainsaw most when cutting large blanks, 100
pound lumps of wet wood are not easy to handle on a bandsaw.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Doc Ron wrote:
Again, thanks to everyone. Mac, that is a really good suggestion,
about the cardboard pattern.
Several folks on the Wood magazine forum cautioned that the motor in
the machine may not be up to the task of cutting much larger pieces
than the original 6". I can see that happening - I haven't
looked recently, but I seem to recall that I have a 3/4 horse in
there. I suspect that I will have to be really careful about that, if
I go this route. So far, with the 3 tpi blade I have, I haven't had
much trouble resawing.

Doc Ron

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis