Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C Pete C is offline

Default Cutting galvanised steel tube

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:44:52 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

See if you can hire a cutoff saw/chop saw locally for a reasonable
amount.

Or if you have a decent bench vice or another good way to clamp the
tube hire a 9" grinder or buy a cheap one. The advantage of a grinder
is trimming/cutting in situ if required.

Normal metal cutting discs will work fine, though the thin
'inox'/stainless ones create less heat if that's a problem.

The thin ones do need a bit of care, especially not letting the disc
getting 'pinched' towards the end of the cut. I'd stay out of the
'cutting plane' too...

I'd expect even the best hacksaw blade would be hard work until you
break through the tube at the start of the cut.

cheers,
Pete.