Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Cutting galvanised steel tube

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:16:57 +0100, raden wrote
(in article ):

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:47:27 +0100, Guy King wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

Lidl had 'em a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how accurate you need
to be - if it's just going into clamps then probably not spot on, then a
hacksaw will get you through 30 tubes in about 30 minutes.

It's for a structure involving Tubeclamps so I don't think that perfection
is
required. If I can get through a tube in about a minute or even two, it
would be quicker than renting a saw. If it were 10 mins per cut, then
that's another thing

Don't you have a local engineering firm who would do it for you for a
few tens of squids?

That's a thought as well. In fact I found a supplier of tube who would do
it. The only trouble is that it's one of those jobs where the space in
which the final structure is being fitted is not quite even and square, and
it has to fit that rather than the structure being perfectly square.

Therefore, I think it is probably better cut as I assemble it. I'll need to
measure the space again, though.