Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Clicking Tiles

new wrote:
The new tile floor in my kitchen with 14 inch tiles are clicking. We
pulled up a few and reset with more mortar but more are clicking and
I think a few of the originals.

I am afraid the subfloor (two 5/8" plywood sheets) moves too much.
It has been suggested that I pull up the bad tiles and then screw the
floor to the joists. Will this be sufficient? The floor does seem
to move when my 250 lbs walks on it - the movement can not be seen
from the basement - it is not the joists. Would additional cross
bracing installed from below help? Would additional wood from below
then screw up and pull down work (plywood does not hold screws well.
I do have full access from below.

Do all the tiles "click"? If no and you rap on clicking ones with your
knuckle do you get a hollow sound? If so your problem is insufficient
mortar/mastic, not sub-floor.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...