Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Alan B Alan B is offline

Default speaker freq response

On 14 Jul 2006 13:59:45 -0700, in message
. com, "phaeton"
scribed:

You guys will all laugh at me, but I 'normalized' the tinny crap
speakers in my 1980 Ford Fairmont by pulling the speaker grilles off
and sticking a rubber mat to the back side of it.

"It" is a little ambiguous there. If "it" is the back of the speaker
grille, then that's a dandy hi-stop filter! OP might take note and just
stick some kind of soft material in front of the speaker cone. Maybe even
the foam that is sold as speaker cover material; that stuff probably cuts
the extreme highs at least a little.

If "it" is the speaker mount, then maybe the tinniness in your case was
vibration of the car's panels (similar to the horrible distortion that
emanates from the many poorly done subwoofer installations - crank it up
and the car becomes the speaker).

When I put the grilles back on, all the really 'sharp' treble was cut,
and the speakers sounded a little more flat.

--

If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten,
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing!