Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default What say ye...

On 10 Jul 2006 08:36:29 -0700, "John Riley" wrote:

yesterday was 103 with about 20% humidity... today and tomorrow are supposed to
be 104 to 109 with about 15%...
My shop averages about 10 degrees above outside temp, so it's not a good bowl
drying place.. *g*

Here in Central Texas, the humidity in the summer is tricky for drying
bowls. I have a shop that I leave open to the weather, except for
storms. and have found the denatured alcohol soaking method, wrapping
the outside and tape at the edge to give more success than failure. I
am in the middle of a large run of elm that was storm damaged and very
wet when cut. Weekly weight tests labeled on the day of the comparison,
is my only gauge as to when to start finish turning these blanks that
are 14" down to 8". I might add that 12" to 14" deep hollow forms are
included in this run. I turn a lot of mesquite as well that I try to
cut only in the winter. If cut in the summer, when the sap is high, I
soak in denatured alcohol. EMC is usually achieved within 8 weeks. I
hope this comment helps you.

John Riley

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis