Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haymish Pupkin Haymish Pupkin is offline

Default Boy am I angry. Can I silicon over 2 hour old silicon?

norm wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:06:28 GMT, "Haymish Pupkin"
wrote:

Started to seal my shower tray.You would not believe how long I have
taken to prepare this job, really cleaned up the shower well.
Checked everything before I started, loads of silicon in the gun etc.

Then I run out half way through the job. Checked the side indicater
and the plunger is 2-3inches from the end of the tube but there's no
more silicon coming out, no blockage either - thanks a bunch
Wilkinsons. Must have a really long plunger in there.

It'll take me 2 hours to get back with a new tube of the same stuff.
Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to
remove all the silicone I just put on?

Thanks

You bought silicon sealant at Wilkinsons ?

I tell you what; I was disgusted with the price of silicon sealant at
Homebase+Q (£3.99) so I tried some stuff from the pound shop. "How bad
could it be?" I thought.

Well, it was disgusting.

It stank.

It stuck to everything including anything you used to tweak it with
afterwards. It's hard to describe but it was like it was too sticky
and viscous. Imagine you drag your finger along a bit of it smeared on
a surface. The normal stuff would spread out and leave a thin film.
This would roll up and make a disgraceful discoloured mess. This made
it very hard to apply neatly.

It wasn't water soluble so it messed up any cloths you used to wipe
any excess and it made my usual trick of finishing it off with a damp
rag impossible.

All in all it was ****e and I reluctantly went back to B+Q for a good
wallet spanking.

How was the Wilkinsons stuff ?