Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default speaker freq response

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David McDivitt wrote:
I purchased an in-dash stereo for my pick-up truck, and some cheap
speakers. The stereo has bass and treble adjustment but not

midrange. I
have since replaced the speakers. The new ones do better, and

sound
better, but still have the same problem. High frequencies have too

much
attenuation.

By the rest of your post, you mean the other way around.

Reducing treble all the way will not kill the cymbals and S
sounds. With the new speakers, if I turn the bass up very much, I

get
incredible deep bass, but still too much high frequency.

I thought I would buy some inductors at Radio Shack and put in

line with
the speakers. From what I remember they are measured in henrys.

But, I
need so little effect I may be better off making small wire coils,
instead.

Easiest way is to add a resistor in series with each tweeter.

Something
about 8 ohm 5 watt should be a good start

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove

it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I used resistors for setting the tweeter levels but ran into a little
quirk. The added resistance changed the crossover frequency but more
importanly, it messed up the damping which sounded like ('cause it was)
ringing. The cure was to add a second resistor in parallel with the
tweeter.

GG