Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default speaker freq response

Kalman Rubinson ) writes:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:09:27 -0500, David McDivitt
wrote:

I purchased an in-dash stereo for my pick-up truck, and some cheap speakers.
The stereo has bass and treble adjustment but not midrange.

The midrange control is, by default, what is not controlled by the
other two.

I have since
replaced the speakers. The new ones do better, and sound better, but still
have the same problem. High frequencies have too much attenuation. Reducing
treble all the way will not kill the cymbals and S sounds.

Seems that that is too little, or not enough, treble attentuation.

Huh? It sounds like the kid wants lots of bass. Either because the
current speakers don't reproduce the low notes, or because he equates
booming bass with good stereo. So when he tries to boost the bass,
he's not getting the results he wants.

Michael

With the new
speakers, if I turn the bass up very much, I get incredible deep bass, but
still too much high frequency.

One does not affect the other (much).

I thought I would buy some inductors at Radio Shack and put in line with the
speakers. From what I remember they are measured in henrys. But, I need so
little effect I may be better off making small wire coils, instead.

Probably milliHenries in the audio range.

To avoid much trial and error, would someone please suggest a starting
point? I might buy several inductors either side of that and see what they
do.

I hate to say this but you might be best served by getting a graphic
EQ that will give you more flexible control to achieve the sound you
want.

Kal