Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Can you place anchors in a concrete slab at a later date?

According to Keith Boeheim :
We are having a concrete driveway put in next week and we want to put up
a 16x16 out building next year. I am having the pad for the building
done at the same time as the driveway. For safety reasons I don't want
the contractor putting in the threaded anchors for the walls during the
pour. How can I install these anchors next year when we are ready to put
up the building?

I can appreciate the concerns that you have about protruding bolts
being a hazard, but a properly concreted-in J bolt is so superior to
just about everything else, that for a 16x16 outbuilding I'd strongly
recommend installing them now anyway.

Put cinder blocks or flower pots (why not with flowers?! ;-) over/around
them or something like that to eliminate the safety/tripping hazard.

If you do choose to install later, research concrete anchoring
systems on the net, and follow the instructions of the one you
choose _to_the_letter_.

Remember, this isn't a lifting load (w.r.t. the big dig accident
a few days ago), so that's not going to happen. But strong
winds are perfectly capable of moving structures like this,
and just picking up lag screws and anchors out of a hardware
store bin _can_ be a mistake if you don't install them properly.

Apropos this, I just repaired a deck railing mounting support
that was less than 3 _months_ old, because the alleged
"professional handyman" who previously owned the house didn't know
that the lag screw is supposed to thread _into_ the anchor, not
just push the anchor farther back into the ridiculously
deep hole in the masonry.

Seriously.

The hole was so deep that the the lag screw pushed the anchor 4"
behind the face of the masonry and didn't engage the anchor _at all_.

He was expecting this nonsense to pass inspection.

Without washers under the lags.

Fixing the anchors involved pulling the lags out (they were loose.
Pulled straight out), fishing out the anchors with wire, threading the
anchors on just enough to bind in the hole, and then winching up the
lags.

Not to mention the 4' long cleated together 2x12 (! what was
he holding up? The Queen Mary?) deck support "beam" he was
supporting both ends on some pieces of rotting wood lying
horizontally on the dirt, when a perfectly adequate masonry
post was 6" away from one end, and butted up against masonry
on the other. So I did 2 2x6s supported on the post and
a 2x4 sleeve-anchored to the wall for the other end, and
inspection passed.

What an airhead.

We assume that he sold the house and left town because the
work he was being paid to do for others was so obviously
and completely half-assed.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est