Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Default Running my house from a Generator, can I do this?....

Joseph Meehan wrote:
sparty wrote:
I recently moved into a new house in Michigan, that does
not currently have a Generator hook up.

I just ran 4 guage wire to my garage with a 60amp breaker
on both sides to run an Air Compessor/Welder/etc.

I'm wondering, could I take something like a 9000 watt
generator, wire a plug for it into a 60 amp breaker in
the panel in my garage. Then if our power went out, I go
into the house, flip off the main breaker, and all the
breakers except the subpanel, furnace, refridgerator,
pump, and a few others. Then I plug in and fire up the
generator in my garage, or
right outside it, and feed power into the house from that
to run those select items?

I hope you really mean outside only. Never put one
inside unless you have a unit designed for it and know how
to safely install it inside.

This seems like it would be a great idea, just want to
make sure that would be ok??

Thanks, James

Let's start with the fact that it would be illegal and
unsafe.

Well, against code at the best; disastrous at worst.

You need a special connection box that assures

It's called a Transfer Switch. Google for it.

that you are totally disconnected from the grid before you
supply any power to your own home. Ignoring this can kill
a utility worked who might be trying to restore power to
your home and working on a line he knows is disconnected
from the grid and therefore dead, that you have just
powered up. You also would be powering up every other home
in the neighborhood.

More realitically, you could do some pretty good damage to your
genset if you miwsire it and don't notice it. Or forget the
sequence and apply line power directly to your genset. Smoke,
fire, all kind os things become possible. Never depend on a
dependable brain: It's gotta be foolproof to work, or as nearly
so as possible.