Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Running my house from a Generator, can I do this?....

sparty wrote:

I recently moved into a new house in Michigan, that does not currently
have a Generator hook up.

I just ran 4 guage wire to my garage with a 60amp breaker on both sides
to run an Air Compessor/Welder/etc.

I'm wondering, could I take something like a 9000 watt generator, wire
a plug for it into a 60 amp breaker in the panel in my garage. Then if
our power went out, I go into the house, flip off the main breaker, and
all the breakers except the subpanel, furnace, refridgerator, pump, and
a few others.

Then I plug in and fire up the generator in my garage, or right outside
it, and feed power into the house from that to run those select items?

This seems like it would be a great idea, just want to make sure that
would be ok??

You can get purpose-made generator sets at Home Depot and other places that
come with the necessary hardware to comply with code and crank up and do
the transfer automatically.

Use a proper transfer switch--you do _not_ want to be on the receiving end
of the lawsuit when your non-code-compliant jury rig electrocutes the guy
from the power company.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate