Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Accidental use of water and water company?

Abe wrote:
Just wondering, does anyone have any experience in what happens with
the water or gas company in a case like this. Do they expect full
payment for the water/gas? Or if you can show it was an accident do
they negotiate or give you a break?

Of course they want full payment. It went through the meter so you pay.
If you don't pay, everyone else pays a little more to make up the
difference.

Not so quick Ed. In my area, the water district provides partial
relief if the water usage was found to be caused by a leak, and within
the next billing cycle you provide proof (receipts) of repair.

In my case, I had the main going from the meter to my house spring a
leak caused by a rock that had, over time, finally punctured the line.
I got an astronomical bill. I immediately called a good plumber, who
located and repaired the leak. I then submitted the correct paperwork
to the water district, and on the next bill, they gave me 50% relief
for the excess water usage, calculated by comparing the previous year
usage for the same billing cycle to the current year.

Thanks, Abe, that's what I was looking for, some real world actual
experience, as opposed to "it's your own fault, what do u expect,
yaddda yaddda yaddda.