Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics
RHRRC RHRRC is offline

Default Generating green light using a 510 nm AC current

Radium wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

There have been zillions of replies which all miss the point entirely.
It is of no practical use to make green light with high frequency AC
current - what you need is a steady green light which is best
(steadiest) using smoothed DC.
For this a green source of DC electricity is required - viable methods
of producing green electricity is currently attracting much attention
and research funding throughout the western world.
I am sure it will not be long before such green electricity is
commonplace.

What, I am sure, Radium has cleverly alluded to (and hence started the
discussion upon) is the fact that upon the arrival of plentiful green
electricity, and hence green light, the world will look a very odd
place : in fact it will look green when sunlight is not available.
This is (I am sure) Radiums point.
Many are involved in the search for truly green electricity but we
really also need red and blue counterparts to produce white light and
all its variants.
NOBODY APPEARS TO BE RESEARCHING INTO RED AND BLUE ELECTRICITY. We must
act now before it is too late