Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Accidental use of water and water company?

wrote:
[...]

Just wondering, does anyone have any experience in what happens with
the water or gas company in a case like this. Do they expect full
payment for the water/gas? Or if you can show it was an accident do
they negotiate or give you a break?

Also, what are views on the landlord's responsibility for paying for
the water/gas if the utility company does not? In the general case,
where it just happens to say a reasonably new water heater, it would
seem to me this is a grey area as to whether the landlord would be
responsible to pay for water. In the case of a 20+ year old water
heater, I think he has a much better case, as it's well known that
these things usually fail long before that, so it looks like a case for
negligence could be made.

Never know what you can get unless you ask. Contact the utility
companies for their policy for such events. They should have one. Also
discuss it with the landlord. The only real people with answers here are
the utility companies and the landlord. Ask them.
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.