Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics
Dan Bloomquist Dan Bloomquist is offline

Default Generating green light using a 510 nm AC current

Bob Myers wrote:

Well, that's kinda the point - in part, at least. But what I was
trying to get across to our "friend" Radium is that the higher
you go in frequency, the worse the model of "electricity is the
movement of electrons in conductors" looks, and the better the
model of "the metal bits are just there to guide the EM" looks -
and eventually you get to the point where you're basically
seeing everything as a waveguide. (Or another way to look
at it - the higher the frequency, the shorter the distance you
want to carry "electrical" signals in conductors, and the more
you rely on "pipes" to carry the signal long distances.) The
point of "you really need to be using a waveguide to carry this
any distance at all" happens at a frequency that's still considerably
below that form of EM that we call "visible light," but there is
really no difference in *kind* between light and a microwave RF
signal. Hence the earlier comment that if you somehow COULD
be making "electricity" with a wavelength of 510 nm, it WOULD
already result in "green light."

But you don't have a handle on the reality????

--
"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption"
George W. Bush.

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy."
Vice President Dick Cheney