Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "R" for insulation????

"cece e." wrote in message
news:a7e539f1bc9dfc6800930e84a7875f5d@homerepairli ve.com...
My last question before I get started with insulating my crawl space.
Remember this is my first time doing this. What does the "R" mean for
insulation. I was going to insulated my crawl space with fiberglass
insulation but a man from the big orange box told me that for a crawl
space I could use (i forgot the exact name) styrofoam and glue it to the
walls and it would have an R10 rating (or something like that). What did
he mean and is styrofoam just as effective as insulation (in Colorado) for
keeping the heat in?

R is for resistance to heat movement. Some info here
http://www.rvalue.net/

Styrofoam is about R4 per inch, same with expandable polystyrene.