Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics
Bill Ward Bill Ward is offline

Default Generating green light using a 510 nm AC current

On 11 Jul 2006 09:51:16 -0700, "Radium"
wrote:

Bill Ward wrote:
On 10 Jul 2006 14:43:51 -0700, "Radium"
wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

Try:

http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/history/

for a description of visible synchrotron radiation.

Regards,

Bill Ward

Is it practical to make synchrotron lasers? A synchrotron laser use a
synchrotron as the source that emits light. The synchrotron is inside
the laser. The laser has two mirrors on each end. One is a
full-reflective mirror, the other is a partial-silvered mirror that
partially reflects and partially lets light out. Light of a certain
wavelength is emitted from the synchrotron, this light hits both
mirrors thereby reflecting continuously, the coherent light then leaves
the partial-silvered mirror.

First find out what a synchrotron is and why it radiates.
Then maybe you can ask a question that makes more sense.

Regards,

Bill Ward