Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Moving washing machine to downstairs toilet area?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:29:10 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Like the waste for existing hand basin in the toilet is only 1-1/4"
(and it runs down through the concrete floor then under the house
apparently) ? Would an ordinary standpipe and 'U' trap be sufficient
(with the common part shared by a tiny hand basin as well)?

It might well work. However, legally, you are supposed to use 40mm pipework
for a washing machine, not 32mm. You could either ignore this requirement if
you are so inclined, replace the pipework, or (complete overkill and not
really recommended) pump the waste outlet.

Ah, ok, interesting stuff. So when you say 'legally' Christian what
does that actually mean? I mean I'm aware electrics might come under
PartP or gas Corgi etc but what 'law' would cover this sort of job
please (and can it be applied retrospectively in which case loads of
the work I have come across would have the 'plumbers' in jail
quick-as-you-like!).

(and would there be any other issues bringing power into that sort
of space (it's not a bathroom or kitchen))?

No problem at all.

Ok, thanks. ;-)

All the best ...

T i m