Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing window compound - asbestos risk?

wrote in message
Now I'm reading that some window compounds might contain asbestos, and
I'm suddenly freaked out about scraping off what's left of the old
compound, or even opening any of my old windows that are still actively
flaking. I know people get old windows replaced all the time, and they
also replace window compound all the time, and I never see or hear of
any asbestos abatement procedures as part of the process. The
installer who's putting in the new windows we are getting looked at our
windows and never mentioned any risk to himself or anyone else. Should
I assume there's an asbestos risk, or am I freaked out over nothing?
How much asbestos was there in old window compound?

If it ever had any, it was very tiny amounts. Touching it will not harm you
and it is encapsulated in the compound, not a fine dust. I'd not let it
bother me at all.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=7
Old window glazing has lead and possibly even some asbestos in it so keep it
out of your home and off of the ground. Dispose of it properly!