Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing window compound - asbestos risk?

I'm in the planning stages of a whole-house window project, which
includes some replacements but in both the interests of saving money as
well as keeping at least a few of our historic windows, I'd also hoped
to just reapply the window compound around a bunch of our old ones.
These windows have fine sashes and wood, but the old compound is dry
and in some cases has nearly completely flaked off.

When I was a kid, I had a little summer job re-compounding the windows
in a church rectory, so I know this is easy enough to do, and I'm
actually pretty good at it.

Now I'm reading that some window compounds might contain asbestos, and
I'm suddenly freaked out about scraping off what's left of the old
compound, or even opening any of my old windows that are still actively
flaking. I know people get old windows replaced all the time, and they
also replace window compound all the time, and I never see or hear of
any asbestos abatement procedures as part of the process. The
installer who's putting in the new windows we are getting looked at our
windows and never mentioned any risk to himself or anyone else. Should
I assume there's an asbestos risk, or am I freaked out over nothing?
How much asbestos was there in old window compound?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Now I'm reading that some window compounds might contain asbestos, and
I'm suddenly freaked out about scraping off what's left of the old
compound, or even opening any of my old windows that are still actively
flaking. I know people get old windows replaced all the time, and they
also replace window compound all the time, and I never see or hear of
any asbestos abatement procedures as part of the process. The
installer who's putting in the new windows we are getting looked at our
windows and never mentioned any risk to himself or anyone else. Should
I assume there's an asbestos risk, or am I freaked out over nothing?
How much asbestos was there in old window compound?

If it ever had any, it was very tiny amounts. Touching it will not harm you
and it is encapsulated in the compound, not a fine dust. I'd not let it
bother me at all.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=7
Old window glazing has lead and possibly even some asbestos in it so keep it
out of your home and off of the ground. Dispose of it properly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Forget about it.

If you get it tested, and the stuff does turn out to contain asbestos,
you're talking big-bucks to remediate.

There has never been a case, so far as I know, of an asbestos hazard with
ANY commercial product. Not in its application, its use, or its removal.
Ever. All asbestos health problems have been associated with asbestos mining
and that limited to those exposed to it for many years. Asbestos-phobia
ranks along side crop circles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to basscadet75, Tom wrote:
Breathing any asbestos fibers is risky. Window glazing, caulking and putty can
contain asbestos fibers. Only laboratory testing will tell you for sure (1% or
more is defined as asbestos containing material). If lab results show it does
contain asbestos, It is typically defined as Category II (NFII) asbestos and
should be handled carefully during removal. Tape plastic on the opposite side
of window, place plastic underneath the area where work is to be performed. Do
all work wet, using water, a spray bottle should work. Avoid removal
procedures which would increase dust. Cutting, scrapping, chiseling, chipping,
sweeping, shoveling - do it all wet. The use of a HEPA respirator and HEPA
vacuum are recommended. Use vacuum to suck up any dust that may be generated
during removal - oftentimes a second person may be required to do this. Put
all material in leak tight containers, double bag. Broken glass into cardboard
box or other rigid container. Use wet rags/sponge to wipe up. HEPA vacuum
everything. Dispose of all plastic, etc. along with asbestos waste. Inform
landfill of what the material is so they can dispose of it properly. Don't
listen to the naysayers about asbestos. Yes, occupational exposure is
definitely more prevalent but why risk asbestosis/mesothelioma when you don't
have to. A quick Google search should provide you with additional information.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sk-126972-.htm