Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Replacing window compound - asbestos risk?

I'm in the planning stages of a whole-house window project, which
includes some replacements but in both the interests of saving money as
well as keeping at least a few of our historic windows, I'd also hoped
to just reapply the window compound around a bunch of our old ones.
These windows have fine sashes and wood, but the old compound is dry
and in some cases has nearly completely flaked off.

When I was a kid, I had a little summer job re-compounding the windows
in a church rectory, so I know this is easy enough to do, and I'm
actually pretty good at it.

Now I'm reading that some window compounds might contain asbestos, and
I'm suddenly freaked out about scraping off what's left of the old
compound, or even opening any of my old windows that are still actively
flaking. I know people get old windows replaced all the time, and they
also replace window compound all the time, and I never see or hear of
any asbestos abatement procedures as part of the process. The
installer who's putting in the new windows we are getting looked at our
windows and never mentioned any risk to himself or anyone else. Should
I assume there's an asbestos risk, or am I freaked out over nothing?
How much asbestos was there in old window compound?