Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel Moshe Eshel is offline

Default Is there an easier way to rough out interior endgrain?

Arch wrote:
1. Would boring like machinist do, work? 2. Would it be easier to use
and less strain on my arms & shoulders than the armbrace? 3. Anybody
doing this?
4, Your general opinion, cautions, etc. Don't spare me
5. A simple better way other than sending me to the turning accessory
suppliers.

Not to portray myself as someone who really understands what he's
talking about. I will try answering your questions/wonderings, although
I think you know most of the answers - this isn't cynical just my view.
1. Does it work for the boring machinist? Yes I guess it does, why
would something that works on metal not work on wood (excluding
threading softwood)
2. Yes, any mechanical appendage that takes the load of your back will
be easier to use (as long as it itself is of good quality)
3. I am considering - not for boring especialy but buying and attaching
a crossslide on my woodturning lathe is a thought for adavanced and the
next level (doing more accurate work by the power of the jig)
4. Cautions: if you build it by yourself - you know what can happen,
just make sure that everything is tight and strong, slower speeds at
first, until you are comfortable that nothing will snap/break/detach -
especialy in the tool holder, and then down from there...
5. The cross slide you mentioned seems OK, providing for all the
obvious problem (fit, rising to the correct height, tool holder which
you need to make - do not rely on the vice itself for that...). And
although you ask not to be turned to the turning accesory suppliers I
suggest that you look at this new accessory from Eli Avisera (it is
expensive but seems to be what you want, and more)
http://avisera.co.il/Content/Tools/Avisera-Jig.asp

Make a lot of shavings, and don't listen to all the people who tell you
not to experiment!