Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye Harry Pye is offline

Default What say ye...

So what's everybody else do after roughing? Seal and bag? Seal only?

At the risk of offending our resident expert on 'little known or cared
about facts," you know who he is. the guy who does not write in
sentences and offers dubious web references to prove his points. I rough
turn to about 10% of the final thickness, then soak in Denatured Alcohol
for about 24 hours. After soaking, the outside of the blank is wrapped
in brown paper leaving the inside of the bowl open.

I weigh the bowl every day and record the weight to a tenth of an ounce.
Typically, the weight of the bowl has stabilized within two weeks and is
ready for final turning. My criteria for stabilized weight is when the
weight of the blank is constant for three consecutive days.

Is this a prefect system? Is it the fastest way to dry? I don't know the
answer to these questions. What I know is that after thirty or more
bowls dried this way, only one cracked. The remainder warped but not
enough that they couldn't be trued with a second turning.

The system works for me.

Harry