Posted to rec.woodworking
J.F. Kirkland III J.F. Kirkland III is offline

Default Blade Sharpening

yea, it's smoking when I try and cut. Seem's as if it is not getting enough
power to the saw. Sound's like it! Should I try a specific gauge extension
cord?
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

J.F. Kirkland III wrote:
I have 2 Dewalt 80t blades. Both blades have lost there sharpness IMO to
soon. About 150-200 cuts per blade. I am cutting soft pine for trim.
My Q
is, how many cuts should I get before having them sharpened?

I've several DeWalt blades including the one that came w/ the chop saw.
As Leon says, they'll stay sharp for a much longer time than
that---I've used this saw for several years between sharpenings on
everything from hardwood trim to the finish work on the old barn which
is 90+ yr old SYP (translation--harder than rocks w/ _lots_ of pitch)
and most of it is dirt-encrusted as well and have made literally
thousands of cuts w/ no real problems of excessively dulling the
blade(s).

Something just ain't right here--can you describe the problem? Soft
pine, other than the gumming problem, should have no discernible effect
on the blade in any short period of time. If it's burning, it's
probably either pitch or you're simply not cutting fast enough. If
it's something else, repost more details and somebody will have ideas...