Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Moving washing machine to downstairs toilet area?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:14:45 +0100, T i m wrote
(in article ):

Hi all,

I was round some friends tonight and they (well 'she' mainly) were
talking of moving the washing machine out of the kitchen and into the
reasonably large downstairs toilet / closet area and fitting a
dishwasher in the vacated space in the kitchen (a 15 year dream of
hers apparently) ;-)

They asked me what I thought and I wasn't sure of a couple (at least)
of things?

Like the waste for existing hand basin in the toilet is only 1-1/4"
(and it runs down through the concrete floor then under the house
apparently) ? Would an ordinary standpipe and 'U' trap be sufficient
(with the common part shared by a tiny hand basin as well)?

A couple of ideas.

- Run a test. This would involve cutting in a tee and a standpipe to the
basin waste and trying it out. Obviously factors with the small size of
pipe are the length and slope. Problems that could occur would be water
squirting out of the top of the standpipe and the potential for the basin
trap to be sucked dry. The trap issue could be addressed with a HepVO
trap, but it would be difficult to address an inadequate waste pipe overall.

It would be rather foolish to commit to the electrics and the whole project
without doing a basic test

- Alternative. Is the toilet soil pipe straight into the floor?

If so, it may be possible to fit a collar boss. Have a look at

http://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage...roduct_categor
y=sW_Vent_Compts

http://tinyurl.com/lal8t

and product code SCB41.

I used one in a cloakroom as part of a more convenient waste arrangement for
a basin. Depending on the soil pipe socket in the floor, this component can
either be fitted straight in or with a little excavation, sunk such that the
bosses on the side are flush with the floor.

The bosses are 40mm which would certainly be enough to accomodate a washing
machine.

They have power on the opposite side of wall that would be beside the
washing machine. Could a spur be brought up (to a 13A switched socket)
to above the worktop they intend to fit over the washing machine or
would it be best left underneath (and would there be any other issues
bringing power into that sort of space (it's not a bathroom or
kitchen))? Both power rings (u/d) are off an RCD if that helps?

I would put a switchable FCU above the worktop and a socket below. This
gives a neat solution without flexes on view.

Anything else?

All the best ..

T i m