Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default What say ye...

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 18:25:12 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Inspired by Leo V's website, I've spent the last couple of days doing
roughing mostly. Still have a long way to go before I match Leo's three
zillion blanks drying on the shelf, but it's a start.

Got me thinking about drying though. Usually I rough turn to 10% of
diameter, slather on end grain sealer inside and out (on the end grain -
I ignore the side grain) then toss them in a paper bag w/shavings.
Wondering what everybody else does. Leo seems to coat them and toss
them on the shelf w/o any bagging. I presume he coats the inside and
out. Is the whole thing coated?

So what's everybody else do after roughing? Seal and bag? Seal only?
Seal inside and out? Various permutations of the above? Yeah, I know
about finish turning wet bowls and letting them warp. But I'm not
asking about that.

S'later...

...Kevin

I tried paper bags, newspaper, racks, etc...

Got tons of cracked bowls and went to turning thin and letting them warp ...

Bottom line of failure of bags, etc. ?
I live in Central California... hot, dry summers make everything crack..

Add to that the fact that lots of folks use their basements for bowl drying
because the temperature is more even.... basements are pretty much non-existant
in California..

Now, if I had a giant wine cellar with temp & humidity control... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis