Bob Engelhardt

Default I need a welder

Tim Williams wrote:
... Only I don't know where the scrap is... :-o

The place I got mine was a weldor-fabricator. They custom make
landscape trailers, parts racks, pretty much anything smaller than a
building. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Steel Fabricators" or
"Welding". A welding supply house could probably give you a name.

Visiting is better than the phone. Tell them you need _scrap_ to
practice on. Given you're a kid (in their eyes) and want to learn
welding, they might even give it to you. Price will be a matter of the
nuisance cost to them. I.e., if they don't want to be bothered it will
be higher. But the scrap itself is worthless to them. Worse, they
probably have to pay to have it taken away. You know that, they know
that.

It's a good place to be friendly with. When you what to make something
and need _stock_, it can be the place to get that, too. My place is
cheaper than the local steel yard, unless I want it cut. Their cutting
charge is outrageous ($15). It's cheaper to buy much more than I need
in a whole piece.

Good luck,
Bob