Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Replacement Window Questions

Robert11 wrote:
These are the pretty typical wooden bedroom windows.

a. Do I want to consider Vinyl, which always seem to be advertised ?

Sure, you want to consider it. Consider all your options. Whether you
ultimately go that way is a decision you can make later.

There seem to be so many types available like all wood, vinyl over
wood, etc.
Could someone describe a bit re the pros and cons, and costs, of some
of the different types of construction ?

There's basically the material the window itself is made of and then
there can be material it's clad with either on the interior or exterior
or both.

There's wood-clad vinyl, aluminum clad wood (exterior) and I'm pretty
sure aluminum clad vinyl (exterior). Getting exterior cladding is
supposed to increase durability. Wood-clad vinyl is supposed to look
nicer but personally, I think it's pretty obvious that it's just some
wood panels on top of vinyl - at least from the windows I've seen like
this.

What are the pros and cons of vinyl vs. wood ?
e.g., cost, quality, etc. ?

Vinyl generally costs a bit less, though how much less depends on
quality. A really good quality virgin vinyl window will only be about
10-20% less than a decent wood window, in my experience pricing these
things out.

Of course, YMMV depending on where you live. I live in ultra-expensive
Long Island, where prices are jacked up so high to begin with that any
price differences are lessened, percentage-wise.

b. Can a few vinyl windows blend in "well" with the remaining house's
wooden windows ? Are they paintable, or do you just match the outside
vinyl's color to the trim used on the existing wooden windows ?

I've read that there is a certain type of paint that can be used on
vinyl. But they're not "as" paintable as wood. I think most people
just match the color when they get the windows, though, and leave them
unpainted. That's supposed to be one advantage of vinyl; you don't
have to paint.

As for how they blend, I don't think they do at all. That's one reason
I'm going wood for my replacements. (I'm just a bit further along in
the process than you right now.) If you're getting all your windows
replaced, vinyl might work better, but I just couldn't see having some
vinyl windows and then right next to them having wood. I've already
got a mix of vinyl and wood from the previous owner so I know it
doesn't blend. Vinyl windows are bright white and flat and look like
plastic. Wood windows are textured and imperfect (because wood is
imperfect) and "thick". They will look different no matter what you
do.

c. What is meant by "double hung" windows ?

The kind of windows with an upper and lower sash - the most common type
of window in most houses.

d. Is it worth the extra cost for insulated glass, etc. ? These are
not massive windows; just the regular bedroom size

Most new windows will have some type of insulating glass standard. If
you mean the argon-filled glass, or some other option, then it's
probably not worth it if you plan to only have a few windows done. If
you eventually plan to replace everything, it might be more worth it.
But it's not really going to accomplish anything if you're not doing
the whole house.

e. what else should I be thinking of, but aren't smart enough to know
enough to ask here, or to make sure to ask the contractor ?

Installation. Can be a big part of the expense and supposedly makes
all the difference in your end results. Ask a lot of questions about
how it's going to be done.

If you're going vinyl, make sure you get "virgin" vinyl (the guy I had
show me vinyl windows called it "pure" vinyl - I guess some contractors
don't want to use the word "virgin" in front of customers). Virgin
vinyl supposedly lasts longer, is physically stronger and is a brighter
white.

f. I realize there are a zillion variables involved, but what (live
outside of Boston) are "typical" window prices ? And, as a total price, with
installation ?

Size makes a huge difference.

I have a bunch of windows that are approximately 28x50, 36x50 and 28x56
that I'm getting replaced. These are double-hung windows. On average,
I was quoted $865 per window from Pella, $500 per window from Alure
(for Quantum2 vinyl windows) and around $550 per window for the same
Pella wood windows from Lowes. Those are installed prices.

I'm going with Lowes Pella.

If you've got standard size windows, or you're willing to fill in your
siding and walls a bit, you can always buy cheap pre-made vinyl windows
for like $150 and have them installed. I think that after filling in
the siding and walls, though, that you won't even be that far ahead on
price and you'll have what I would consider an ugly, cheap window. So
you pick your poison. For me, I went with the cheapest price I could
find replacement wood windows that fit in my existing pockets; that
seemed like the best option. But you should look at everything in your
area that you can before making a decision. It can be a big expense so
you want to make a good decision for yourself.