Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Hozelock stop - male.

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Why not connect the tap to a short piece of hose with a waterstop
connector on?

Apart from the fact that I'd rather have a 'proper' permenant solution,
and that hose, exposed to the elements and pressurised all the time
isn't the greatest idea, it'd mean that I'd have to mess around with a
male-male adaptor.

But if it's outdoors /something/ is going to be expose to the weather,
and I'd rather it were a bit of hose with some give in it than a bit of
rigid plastic. Far less likely to split in the frost.

nah, I had various bits of plastic pipe outside - both the blue MDPE
stuff and grey Hep2O - polybutylene? mostly used for internal plumbing.

In about 5 + years including some sub -10C temps I never had any
problems - it seems to have enough give in it/be tough enough - though I
did have a problem with a copper to tap compression joint opening under
the pressure of the ice. And at the time of year this is likely to
happen , the water is most likely turned off anyway.

however I have tried having hosepipe left under pressure and I remember
at least two occasions where we had leaks - one where the hose split
near the end and one where the hose came out of the fitting at the end.
Much water went everywhere of course as it was in the summer.
--
Chris French