Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Is there an easier way to rough out interior endgrain?

Hi Arch

I get the feeling that you are not willing to use your nice little
sheldon for that, but yes you could, just keep the sizes within the
range the lathe can handle.

However as a mental exercise in finding a possible way of using your
x-y, yes I think you could use the x-y vice, you would have to
fabricate some kind of base that you can clamp down to the lathe and
have your vice fastened to that, the hight would have to be kept in
mind, so that the boring bars toolbit could be set at centre hight+.
And to take away the problem of the "sloppy" fit of the vise, I would
use the regular tool rest right close to the wood to be turned, however
with a small opening you would need a hollowing bar with a articulating
end on it so you can compensate for the inability of swinging the
boring bar as when you hold it freehand.

O yes and you would need some overhead crane to get it all mounted
GG ;-))

Have fun and take care Arch
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
I do use incremental sizes up to 1 1/2" of both spade and forstner bits
along with a stout extender to open the hole and set the depth before
using arm rest and an inserted _cutting_ bit.

Most bit shaft extenders are flimsy and the more robust spindle
extenders extend the chuck which if the hole is big enough for it to
enter you _may_ not need the extender. Or as Yogi said, "If you don't
have it, that's why you need it!".

I would think in a home shop set up, the torque on 5 to 6 in. and larger
augers, saw tooths. spades and Forstners that cut the entire radius as
they progress into dry end grain would likely overstress the bit and its
shaft, the chuck and its Jarno & Morse tapers and generate excessive
heat. I may be wrong, but I wonder if anyone here drills out deep 5+"
holes in hard dry end grain without the tedium of going thru the sizes.

I think the size of the vase's orifice would limit the useful size of a
drill bit, while a boring bar bit could be extended or swivelled to make
the blank's internal diameter greater than the entry.

Eh Leo, does my 9" Sheldon qualify?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter