Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Shallow well far from the garden: Pump location question

Jeannot wrote:
OK Lee, I understand that I may be optimistic, but just saying so is
not really helpful.

I understand equations, and that there is a relationship between flow
and suction power, so please entertain me as to how the numbers lead to
the conclusion.

As far as specs, please use the following: 898 GPM, 26' suction depth
and 140' maximum lift.

Thanks.

lee houston wrote:
"Jeannot" wrote in message
ups.com...
I dried my house deep well once while watering the garden, and did not
like it. (It is a big garden, and I also have about 40 fruit trees and
a raspberry field)

Sooo, I decided to try to use a well I found in the field. It is 3' in
diameter, 13 feet deep with water at 4.5' from the ground.

you're going to use an 800 GPM pump to draw from a 13' deep
well? i would sure run some pumping tests first. Sounds
overly optimistic without even considering that you want
to install the pump so far away and suck lots of air.

lee h

You do have a point but there comes a point when it doesn't matter what
the pump or suction power is. A pump cannot suck more than about 26ft
lift no matter how it is designed. It is physically impossible and
will pull a vacuum if it exceeds that approximate lift. Now does your
long run due to pipe friction add any 'lift' to that approx 6ft? Don't
forget to figure in any elevation difference.

800 gpm is seriously overengineered for irrigation. If it works, you
will have to put it through a pressure tank or it will blow your
irrigation equipment. If put through a tank, the pump will run for
only a few seconds at a time - very bad for pump longevity.

My shade-tree plumbers brain says you will not be able to get the pump
to prime over that distance.

Harry K