Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Doc Ron Doc Ron is offline

Default band saw riser

Something to ponder ...

I have an old Taiwanese 14" bandsaw, supplied by a now defunct
company, AMT. It has the standard 6'' high cut. When new, a riser
block was available as an add -on, but of course is no longer. I was
thinking that I might make a block out of 3/4 oak boards, laminatd to
the proper thickness to allow the use of the next size blade, thus
gaining several inches and allowing more capacity for resawing and
for trimming lumber to size for woodturning. Has any one done
anything like this? Can I expect the oak to stand up without
compressing or going slanted in some way? The pieces will be about 4'
square with a 3/4" hole in the center for the bolt that holds the
top of the bandsaw to the base.
Will appreciate your comments.

Doc Ron