Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Is there an easier way to rough out interior endgrain?

"Arch" wrote in message
Rough hollowing and cleaning out large end grain blanks is getting to be
more chore than fun. Even with two toolrests and a cobbled up
restraining device, my armbrace and long 3/4" boring bar is getting
heavier by the day and I'm running out of aspirin. Still I don't want to
buy an expensive large hollowing system.

So turn bowls or something for a break.

Fastest rough hollowing I've found is a pointy gouge. You could use a
metal-spinner's rest with the pin to _really_ hog on it if you care to. You
do have one of those, or a pivoting gate for that hollower, right? If not,
try it. Experiment by putting a C-clamp on the rest to bear against. Seems
to take a lot of strange stress off the AV joint.