Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Is there an easier way to rough out interior endgrain?

Hi Mike, I had no specific size or form in mind except at least as deep
and closed in hard end grain that an armbrace with perhaps a 12" X 3/4"
shaft would be called for. I've long used this set up and have used
various add ons (extra tool rests, restraining rests, swivelling cups,
side handles and 'Y's welded to the shanks) for supporting and
controlling long heavy tool shanks.

Being a tinkerer, I wondered about the utility of adapting a cheap
version of a machinist's boring bar set up & technique to a wood lathe
to substitute for the armbrace/long heavy shank method. I wasn't musing
about the hole for the boring bar, just thinking of another way to get
rid of a lot of closed in waste wood.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter