DP

Default Mortice Locks

If you take the old locks to a locksmith (or DIY outlet) you should be able
to match them up with something there. If you don't fancy leaving your house
without any locks, trace the outline of the locks and the positions of the
holes onto a piece of paper.

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I need a couple of mortise locks to replace some existing ones (I am a

new
owner of a house). Looking in the Screwfix catalogue (page 126) the two
options are 2 1/2" and 3", what does this measurement refer to I presume

the
height of the 'innards, but how do I know how big the visible plate is.

do not mind chiselling out for a bigger one but would like one to at

least
fill the recess left by the other ones. If it helps the original ones

are
Chubb 5 Lever.

TIA

John

Try and replace like for like John. Your insurance company will also like
to see at least a five lever mortice lock with a known brand name on it,

eg,
Chubb, Yale, Cesa etc. That way they make sure that you are taking an
interest in your own security needs. I would also recommend an intruder
alarm and smoke detectors if not already installed.

http://1867.com