Posted to alt.home.repair

Default first-time homebuyer/bathroom ideas

"dkhedmo" wrote in message

First question, regarding ideas for updating the (only) bathroom in a
small early 1950's ranch on a slab foundation in upstate NY. What's
involved in labor and cost should I want to move the toilet 18-24" to the
left or right, and likewise the vanity/sink, perhaps switching their
positions in the layout?

It will cost a lot. It may entail jackhammering the slab to move drain
pipes. then re-cementing the slab. Would make more sense to buy a different
house. Really.

Also, any thoughts on removal/replacement of what seems to be some manner
of molded plastic tub and shower surround, likely a 1970's perpetration
(it's harvest gold, for goodness' sake)? Would the Bath Fitters be a
simple/inexpensive solution in this case?

I've not heard a lot of good things about bathfiters, but you can do things
along those lines. Check out what is available at the home center and
plumging supply houses. You may be able to do it yourself and save a bundle.

I would also like
to install a window, the only outside wall being the long/back wall of the
shower/tub, so a window above the back wall of the shower. Any problems
there?

While not the best location, it is still better than no window.

Good luck with the new house.