DanK

Default I need a welder

Classes aren't cheap but the one I have been taking at night, you almost
pay for the course with what consumables you use. We were taught on a
variety of rods, doing mainly fillets on the horizontal. Whatever you do,
don't buy a 120V welder, I have one due to power restraints and it is
frustrating to learn on due to it's limited abilities. If money is that
tight, it
may be better to find somebody with the proper equipment that you can
trade labour for or even get some hands on training, then to buy equipment
that won't fulfill your needs in a years time.

DanK

---------------
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Yes, you do! Everybody needs a welder. A small ac only stick welder
would be very useful. It opens up a whole other dimension of "shop".

You say cost is very important, but for the basic stuff it doesn't have
to be the best. Stick welders are not sophisticated machines. There
are differences, but not like the differences between different MIG or
TIG machines.

I'd recommend a 30-120A HF machine. Cheap and free shipping. 220v
input option.

People say that you can get used tombstones cheap, but not around here
(eastern Mass) - maybe in your area, maybe not. If you buy used and
have to replace parts, that can add up (try pricing cable). Or take a
long time finding used/bargain parts.

Welding classes can be pretty expensive too. Unless, of course, parents
view them as "education" and have different justification. You don't
need them to start - there are books to get you started. You're not
going to be welding pressure vessels, are you? I do most of my stuff
with 6013 rods, horizontal. Pretty easy.

Go for it!

Bob

BTW - 6010 is better for dirty/rusty/painted stock, but even 6013 just
welds right through it. Again, it's not pressure vessels.