Posted to alt.home.repair
lawnmower_man80 lawnmower_man80 is offline

Default Shallow well far from the garden: Pump location question

I agree with Larry. I think that drip irrigation should be an
intelligent option for your garden. You won't spend too much water, and
your trees & plants will receive the water just where they need it. I
have one too in my garden (Spain), and it is so common here having the
garden irrigated with drippers or micro-irrigation. I should recommend
you visiting this website, you can see lot of different products, and
you can make an idea of what is necessary:

http://www.plasgotirrigation.com/products.htm

I hope be helpful for you.

Larry Jaques ha escrito:

On 4 Jul 2006 20:09:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jeannot"
quickly quoth:

I dried my house deep well once while watering the garden, and did not
like it. (It is a big garden, and I also have about 40 fruit trees and
a raspberry field)

Sooo, I decided to try to use a well I found in the field. It is 3' in
diameter, 13 feet deep with water at 4.5' from the ground.

Distance from the house to the garden: 175'
Distance from the garden to the Well: 175' further (350' from the
house)

I need to run electricity from the house to the pump, and almost had a
coronary when I saw the price of 12/2 electrical wiring, so I'd like to
try to minimize the lenght of the wiring, both for cost, ease of
maintenance and minimizing power loss.

I bought a new 3/4hp shallow well pump, a "Central Machinery 02955 1"
Cast Iron Shallow Well Pump" and plan to use 1" PVC pipe. I would like
to locate the pump at the garden, meaning it would have to pull between
5' and 12' vertical up the well, plus 175' horizontal. I know pumps are
better for pushing than pulling, but I would save 175' in wiring and
hassles.

First off, I have one of their 1479 pumps and while it's not bad, it's
not a self-priming pump. I had a helluva time getting it to pump in
the first place, but now I know what "foot valves" are. g

Is that a bad ideeyer? Why?
Thanks!

No, probably not, but you'll still have to trench the wiring and
piping all the way. Gonna rent a Ditch Witch or hire it out?

Another alternative is if you have a gas-powered generator. Hauling it
out there once a week to power the pump for watering might become a
real hassle, though.

One question: Do you use drip irrigation in the garden? If not, why
not? People with wells need to limit their water use and that is not
only extremely good practice, it creates fewer weeds and healthier
plants on 50-80% less water. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. I drip irrigate
my entire 1/3 acre with a $200 initial investment and about $10/yr
maintenance costs. I hate weeding and my plants/trees/shrubs love me.

--
Friends don't let friends vote Republican or Democrat.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. VOTE LIBERTARIAN