Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King Guy King is offline

Default Blow torches: are they still used?

The message
from contains these words:

Hot air balloons.
Don't forget the ali foil for the radar target -- and do it under the flight
path to the airport.

Someone phoned one of our largest in to the emergency services as a full
sized balloon on fire - which indeed it looked like if you didn't know
what it was. There were police cars, fire engines and ambulances chasing
all over the place - but miles from where we were because of problems of
judging distance to an object that's about fifty times smaller than you
expect.

In retropect of course it was all very reprehensible, but at least we
were making our own entertainment. And that of all the UFO spotters who
used to gather on the North Downs over Otford to catch a glimse during a
rash of sightings on hot summer.

--
Skipweasel