Ken Sterling

Default I need a welder

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:q56Cb.67$BQ5.51@fed1read03...
An experienced welder can take most anything and make it work. An
inexperienced welder can take the best machine out there and mess
things up. How do you get experience? By doing.

Go take some courses.

I'll have to see if Blackhawk Tech. has a summer welding class...
That wouldn't be bad because the parents would be paying for it, but
they would justify it as education (and whatever tax benefits that
holds, what Idunno... and not to say I wouldn't mind a proper welding
education!)
Still doesn't get a welder in my basement though :-p

It is infinitely cheaper than buying welder after welder.

I'm a quick study, and remember I made something cheezier before -
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/...timwelder.html
I got some neat looking welds off that, if brittle because the beads
became pretty much white cast iron...

Besides that, my friend has taken a highschool welding class, so he
can show me the jist of it.

Save yer dough until you are SURE. You can fry Franklins at an amazing
rate when you are starting out.

I can certainly understand that.. TIGs starting around $1k for instance...

Good luck. Have fun. And remember ............... this is not a test.
You WILL make mistakes. Just study in advance, and learn when you do
make a booboo. As long as it doesn't cost you a finger, no big deal.

It's gonna cost an arm and a leg though, at least where I am now...
I need a job...

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Maybe you have a few people in the neighborhood that may have an old
Lincoln AC buzzbox that's not being used - and you could trade some
labor for it???
Ken.