Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill Bill is offline

Default Solar?

An electric water heater can be 30% of an electric bill. Check into solar
water heating systems.

Also in some areas you can get a "time of use" electric meter. With this,
electricity is less expensive at low peak times like middle of the night.
You can get timers for things like freezer and water heater.

Can also set up a 2nd hot water heater for everything except shower. Set
this to barely warm not hot.

And then for heating, just heat a couple of rooms, not the whole house. At
night I may close my bedroom door and heat just the bedroom.

Then put power strips on everything electronic. Things like TV, stereo,
microwave, etc. (electronic stuff) will use electricity when "off". Turn off
power to these things when not in use.

Also check into getting extra insulation, heavy drapes, and energy star
windows.

A solar electric system can cost $40,000. But if you get a solar hot water
heater, then you might be able to cut your solar electric needs down quite a
bit. Check into "net metering". Read followuing link...
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/net_metering.html

Grid tie inverter...
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/172/p/1/pt/23/product.asp

Some of this stuff can cost a small fortune, but if you are going to live
there the rest of your life, these things will pay off in the long run. It
would be nice to have reduced electric bills in the future.